Rice Krispies Hidden Surprise Easter Egg Treats
The Rice Krispies Hidden Surprise Easter Egg Treats recipe is a playful variation on the original recipe – with a egg shape and hidden candies inside. There is also plenty of opportunity to be creative and by using candies, frosting or decorating gel.
- 12 Plastic snap-apart 3 x 2-in Easter eggs
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 package (10 oz., about 40) JET-PUFFED Marshmallows
- 4 cups JET-PUFFED Miniature Marshmallows
- 6 cups Kellogg's® Rice Krispies® cereal
- 1/2 cup M&M'S® Brand Chocolate Candies
- Canned frosting or decorating gel (optional)
1. Clean, then coat inside of plastic eggs with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add JET-PUFFED Marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
3. Add KELLOGG'S RICE KRISPIES cereal. Stir until well coated.
4. Using greased hands, firmly press 1/4 cup of the cereal mixture into each plastic egg half. Use fingers to make hollow center in each half. Remove from molds. Place on wax paper. Cool slightly.
5. Place about 6 M&M'S® Brand Chocolate Candies in one half of each egg. Gently press two halves of each egg together until they stick. Cool completely.
6. Decorate with frosting and additional M&M'S® Brand Chocolate Candies (if desired). Best if served the same day.
Follow step 1 above.
In microwave-safe bowl heat butter and marshmallows on HIGH for 3 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes. Stir until smooth. Follow steps 3 through 6 above. Microwave cooking times may vary.
For best results, use fresh marshmallows.
1 jar (7 oz.) marshmallow crème can be substituted for marshmallows.
Diet, reduced calorie or tub margarine is not recommended.
To ensure the tastiest and most festive snacks, here are some tips from moms across the country courtesy of Rice Krispies:
- Let the Rice Krispies Treats cool for 10 minutes before molding them.
- Pop the Rice Krispies Treats in the fridge for a few minutes to cool after shaping, which will allow them to set faster.
- Be sure to coat the inside of the plastic eggs with cooking spray, and spray a little on hands and spoons to keep the mixture from sticking.
- Add food coloring in the marshmallow and butter mixture before you pour in the Rice Krispies cereal for a more festive look.
- Dip the finished eggs in chocolate for an extra-sweet layer of flavor. Use white chocolate for a truer-to-life look.
- Have fun and create an amazing holiday tradition.
Rice Krispies Hidden Surprise Easter Egg Treats are just one of several fun, holiday-inspired ideas from Rice Krispies.
The Rice Krispies website has more great recipes, photos and decorating ideas for every season – so go check it out!
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.