Save Time on Weeknight Meal Prep: Apple Walnut Dressing
(Family Features) With so many dishes requiring time-consuming special preparation, you may find yourself looking for ways to shave a little time. The key is to buy back precious minutes without sacrificing the taste and quality your loved ones expect when they gather for a weeknight meal.
To ensure you’re always ready to create delicious dinners, keep these tips in mind:
- Build recipes around staples you already have on hand, to shave off some grocery shopping time. To create a variety of dishes, keep a ready stash of basic items like rice, pasta, potatoes, and a large assortment of herbs and spices.
- Look for ingredients that offer convenience, such as being pre-cooked or pre-measured. For example, Success Boil-in-Bag Rice is a 10-minute quick-cooking long grain rice, which is pre-measured in a convenient colander bag that can be prepared on the stove or in the microwave.
- Save time slicing, dicing and chopping by using frozen or store-prepared fruits and vegetables. Cutting preparation time will leave you free to focus on tending to another dish, or spending more time with your family.
With a few time-saving measures in place, you’ll have a dinner so tasty no one will even wonder what shortcuts you took along the way. You’ll also be free to experiment with new recipes, such as this delicious, sweet and crunchy Apple Walnut Dressing.
Visit www.successrice.com for more time-saving recipe ideas.
Apple Walnut Dressing
- 1 bag Success White Rice or Success Brown Rice
- 1 tart green apple, cored and chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- nonstick cooking spray
- 4 ounces bulk turkey sausage
- 3/4 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh celery
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/3 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup honey
- Prepare rice according to package directions.
- Combine apple and lemon juice in large bowl; mix lightly. Set aside.
- Spray large skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Crumble sausage into prepared skillet. Cook over medium heat until browned, stirring occasionally.
- Add onions, celery, walnuts and raisins; cook until crisp-tender. Add apple mixture, seasonings and sage; cook and stir 3 minutes.
- Add rice, broth and honey; heat thoroughly, stirring constantly.